This is a classic Peterborough area ride.
Although locals use this route as a quick before or after work ride, it makes a great day trip for visitors who wish to soak in more of what the Kawarthas has to offer. Leaving town on bike paths and cycling lanes, the route gets riders into the quiet of the county surprisingly quickly. Taking in the lakeside community of Bridgenorth, bustling Lakefield and the beautiful River Road on the way back into town, this route gives riders a great taste of what is to come as they explore more cycling in the area.
Why We Love This Route:
- Quick access to quiet roads.
- Varied scenery of lakes, rivers and country living.
- A short ride that makes riders feel as though they are miles from home.
Highlights & Photo Ops:
- Rolling slowly along the unique causeway in Bridgenorth. Approx. KM16-KM17
- Riding past the locks on River Road. – Approx. KM31-KM38
- Riding through Millennium Park – Approx. KM0 and Km61
- Riding past Trent University along the Otonabee River. Approx. KM51
Worth Stopping For Along the Route:
- The Nutty Bean Café in Lakefield. Enjoy coffee and a snack or a full lunch on the patio in the heart of Lakefield. – Approx. KM43
- Buns & Sweets in Bridgenorth – a great place to recharge with some tasty treats
- Ashburnham Ale House – located in Peterborough’s “East City” this craft beer cafe is a must, located right beside the Rotary Greenway Trail.
- Wrap up your ride at Silver Bean Café in Peterborough. – Approx. KM0 and KM61
Places to Stay
- Holiday Inn Peterborough Waterfront – 150 George St N. Peterborough
- The Village Inn – 39 Queen St, Lakefield
- Wee Butt ‘N’ Ben – 58 Bridge St. Lakefield
- Lakeside Cottages – 1650 Stenner Rd, Selwyn
- Gethsemane Rest B&B On the Lake – 906 Kelly Blvd, Bridgenorth
Places to Eat
- Smitty’s Family Restaurant – 139 George Street North, Peterborough
- Reggie’s Hot Grill – 89 Hunter Street East, Peterborough
- Cassis Bistro – 27 Queen St. Lakefield
- Canoe & Paddle – 18 Bridge Street, Lakefield
- Lakefield Restaurant – 107 Queen St, Lakefield
- Jack’s Family Restaurant – 1 Strickland St, Lakefield
- Kettle Drums Restaurant & Bar – 224 Hunter St W, Peterborough
- Black Honey Desserts & Coffee House – 217 Hunter St W, Peterborough
- La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant – 190 Hunter St W, Peterborough
- Sam’s Place – 188 Hunter St W, Peterborough
- St. Veronus Cafe and Tap Room – 129 Hunter St W, Peterborough
If you aren’t a Map My Rider user, download a Map & Directions here
If you’re a Strava user, access the route and segments here
Be sure to catch these
- Cycling Services & Retailers in Peterborough & the Kawarthas
- Quick Stops & Services for Road Cyclists in Peterborough & the Kawarthas