Route 1 – Lakes, Rivers and Cafes 60
The manageable distance and diversity of this route make it a Peterborough area favorite.
Many local riders use this route for training or casual rides but visitors will appreciate all there is to see along the way. Leaving town on bike paths and cycling lanes, the route gets riders into the quiet of the county surprisingly quickly. The route begins by taking in the lake-side community of Bridgenorth before heading north through Selwyn’s rustic farm country. Next up is Lakefield followed by the beautiful River Road on the way back into town.
Why We Love This Route:
- Quick access to quiet roads.
- Varied scenery of lakes, rivers, rolling farmlands and country living.
- A short ride that makes riders feel as though they are miles from home.
- Long enough to spend a day riding but short enough to ride after work.
Highlights & Photo Ops:
- Rolling slowly along the unique causeway in Bridgenorth. Approx. KM16-KM17
- Riding past the locks on River Road. – Approx. KM45-KM52
- Riding through Millennium Park – Approx. KM0 and KM61
- Riding past Trent University along the Otonabee River. Approx. KM51
Worth Stopping For Along the Route:
- The Nutty Bean Café in Lakefield. Enjoy coffee and a snack or a full lunch on the patio in the heart of Lakefield. – Approx. KM43
- Buns & Sweets in Bridgenorth – a great place to recharge with some tasty treats
- Ashburnham Ale House – located in Peterborough’s “East City” this craft beer cafe is a must, located right beside the Rotary Greenway Trail.
- Wrap up your ride at Silver Bean Café in Peterborough. – Approx. KM0 and KM61
Places to Stay
- Holiday Inn Peterborough Waterfront – 150 George St N. Peterborough
- The Village Inn – 39 Queen St, Lakefield
- Wee Butt ‘N’ Ben – 58 Bridge St. Lakefield
- Lakeside Cottages – 1650 Stenner Rd, Selwyn
- Gethsemane Rest Guest House – 906 Kelly Blvd, Bridgenorth
Places to Eat
- Smitty’s Family Restaurant – 139 George Street North, Peterborough
- Reggie’s Hot Grill – 89 Hunter Street East, Peterborough
- Cassis Bistro – 27 Queen St. Lakefield
- Canoe & Paddle – 18 Bridge Street, Lakefield
- Lakefield Restaurant – 107 Queen St, Lakefield
- Jack’s Family Restaurant – 1 Strickland St, Lakefield
- Kettle Drums Restaurant & Bar – 224 Hunter St W, Peterborough
- Black Honey Desserts & Coffee House – 217 Hunter St W, Peterborough
- La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant – 190 Hunter St W, Peterborough
- Sam’s Place – 188 Hunter St W, Peterborough
- St. Veronus Cafe and Tap Room – 129 Hunter St W, Peterborough
If you aren’t a Map My Ride user, download a Map & Directions here
If you’re a Strava user, access the route and segments here
Be sure to catch these
- Cycling Services & Retailers in Peterborough & the Kawarthas
- Quick Stops & Services for Road Cyclists in Peterborough & the Kawarthas