Draw inspiration from stunning scenery and inspiring Zimbabwean stone sculpture as you tap into your inner artist at ZimArt’s Rice Lake Gallery. This destination gallery is where you’ll find a taste of global culture nestled in the rolling hills surrounding Rice Lake.
Types of workshops
- Five-Day Workshops
- Introductory Two-Day Workshops
- One Day Family Workshops
The Gallery has a range of Zimbabwean stone for you to purchase in a variety of colours and hardness, and you will be able to select a piece suited to your skill level. You are also welcome to bring your own stone
You will know the moment you arrive at ZimArt’s Rice Lake Gallery that you have uncovered something truly remarkable. As you traverse along the driveway into this five-acre sculpture park, prepare to be transported to a place where you become the artist.
The Zimbabwean stone sculptures, also known as Shona sculptures, at ZimArt’s Rice Lake Gallery have been carefully curated by owner Fran Fearnley who visits Zimbabwe each year to buy directly from artists there. Annually, Fran welcomes a Zimbabwean sculptor as artist-in-residence. It is this artist, who will lead you in creating a masterpiece of your own.
Inspirational and totally addictive.Rice Lake Guest
What to expect
Expect to build your creativity, rise to the challenge and gain experience as an artist in your own right. In the gallery’s open air setting, you will be guided by a professional artist to create something your very own work of art. You might just surprise yourself.
Using only hand tools, you will learn and apply traditional techniques for finishing and polishing the stone. All tools are provided, however if you are an experienced artist and prefer your own you are welcome to bring them.
Attendees are encouraged to choose the workshop just right for them:
- Two-day introductory workshops are perfect for beginners (those who are sculpting for the first time or who have little sculpting experience). With a maximum of eight participants, this gives you plenty of dedicated time to get the support you need to create something truly remarkable (you might just surprise yourself).
- For practiced sculptors, the five-day advanced workshops are a great place to finesse your sculpting skills. These sessions require some formal sculpting experience and still offer an intimate setting with less than 10 participants.
- Family or group workshops are also available, and tailored programs best suited to the age and interest of participants. This could be a great way to get your siblings together for some creative quality time.
What Makes Zimbabwean stone sculpture unique?
Famed broadcaster and natural historian, David Attenborough, an early collector of these works has explained: “The real significance of this tribal art is that it shows us, locked within our own culture, that there are other ways of being human; there are alternative visions that have their own validity.”
While this increasingly popular art form is often replicated, the sculptures you will find on display and for sale at ZimArt’s Rice Lake Gallery are as genuine as the warm welcome you will receive at this quaint yet cosmopolitan destination.
What else can I do nearby?
- Sip local wine and savour delectable eats Rolling Grape Vineyard
- Put your problem solving skills to the test at Escape Maze
- Fore! Someone in your party not interested in sculpting? Perhaps they might want to check out the nearby golf courses
- Continue to immerse yourself in the perfect combination of creativity and fresh air perspectives at 4th Line Theatre
Businesses associated with this experience
ZimArt, Rice Lake GalleryOne-Of-A Kind!