Sales for the #FallForPtbo Picnic Experience have closed for this year.
Authentic Adventure: #FallForPtboPicnic
We’re going on a picnic…what will you bring? This experience for four people will have you sampling a delightful array of tried-and-true local favourites and experiencing the freshest fun that Peterborough & the Kawarthas has to offer. Begin your adventure by picking up your picnic backpack, then foraging from five local stops (bakeries, wineries, and restaurants) before settling in to enjoy a feast that was carefully curated by you. As we always tell our visitors, feel free to slow your pace down and enjoy the scenery and memories made along the way.
Looking for a memorable picnic for two? Enjoy this picnic and take the opportunity to pick up some other great eats to bring home (en route to your cottage) or some local wares as souvenirs.
What to expect
This self-guided tour will have you exploring foodie-hot spots in the City and County of Peterborough, while creating your very own picnic feast. This experience is perfect for a fall drive (or pedal, if you’re so inclined) and will be sure to introduce you to some exciting new flavours.
During the week, begin your feast at the Peterborough & the Kawarthas Visitor Centre in downtown Peterborough where you will pick up your picnic backpack. On weekends, you will pick up your backpack at your first stop; Hard Winter Bread Company. The backpack is yours to keep and comes complete with a map, suggested route, all of your essential picnic items, and gift cards to the following five local stops for food lovers:
Hard Winter Bread Company: 133 Hunter St. E. Ptbo 705-775-7473
Hours: Wed- Fri 8-4, Sat- Sun 9-2
Gift Card Amount – $20.00
This neighbourhood-favourite sourdough bakery is located in East City Peterborough.
This is a great stop to pick up bread, baked goods and other goodies for your picnic. (Make this your first stop for the best selection – their fan-fave menu items sell out quickly).
We Recommend: Getting your adventure off to a great start by picking up some cookies for the drive.
Millbrook Mercantile: 28 King St. East, Millbrook 705-932-6455
Hours: Thurs – Sun 11-4
Gift Card Amount – $40.00
This stop on Millbrook’s main street takes a fresh take on the charming, small-town general store. Here, you will find gourmet fresh and prepared foods, a classic meat deli, and over 150+ fine cheeses from around the world.
We recommend: taking full advantage of the expert knowledge at the deli counter, who will help you find flavours that you love and take your knowledge of fine cheeses to the next level.
Pastry Peddler: 17 King St. E., Millbrook 705-932-7333
Hours: Tues-Thurs & Sat 9-5; Fri 9-7; Sun 10-4
Card Amount – $30.00
Tasty meals. Amazingly delicious desserts. A passion for community and cycling. You will find this here at the Pastry Peddler (just a stone’s throw from the Millbrook Mercantile – you can choose where you’d like to stop first).
We recommend: checking out the fresh side of their menu with great healthy eats like the Buddha Bowl and fresh takes on classic favourites like butter chicken.
Doo Doo’s Bakery: 187 County Rd 28, Bailieboro 705-939-1394
Hours: Tues – Sat 9-5 Closed Sundays
Card amount – $20.00
Award-winning butter tarts. Need we say more? Doo Doo’s Bakery is a favourite destination for butter tarts and pastry lovers from across Ontario. Sink your teeth into this sweet spot in Bailieboro.
We recommend: getting a mixed pack of butter tarts so that you can try out their different flavours (maple bacon, raspberry, pumpkin…yes please!)
Rolling Grape Vineyard: 260 County Rd 2, Bailieboro
Hours: Fri – Sun 11 – 5 (will be Thurs – Sun 11-6)
Card Amount – $30.00
An up-and-coming winery tucked in the rolling hills of centuries old farmland – at Rolling Grape Vineyard you will find friendly faces and equally exceptional wines at a spot that is quickly becoming a favourite local destination.
We recommend: asking for a recommendation on what will pair well with the feast you have foraged. They also offer sangria to go!
Unpack your picnic at your choice of two recommended picnic locations: Rolling Grape Vineyard (in the special section for #FallForPtbo picnic guests) or among the stunning Shona stone sculptures at the five-acre ZimArt’s Rice Lake Gallery (a taste of global culture that will perfectly complement your picnic fare).
Why should I picnic?
A picnic is a perfect way to put distractions and screens aside and live in the moment as you make lasting memories. Take a day to enjoy this one at a leisurely pace. Bring along some games, pull together a playlist of your favourite songs, and bask in the warmth of a day that you will look back on for years to come.
Peterborough & the Kawarthas is an ideal region to reconnect and get back to the basics that matter. What better way to do this than by dining in the fresh air?
What else can I do nearby?
- Hear more stories of Peterborough’s heritage in agriculture and innovation as you step back in time at Lang Pioneer Village, the region’s living history museum.
- Ready for a challenge? Test your skills through a series of games, riddles, puzzles locks, and keys in one of their game rooms, and try to escape in this unique experience at Escape Maze. Still want to enjoy the outdoors? Check out the Adventure Trails – a combination of the escape room and the Amazing Race!
- Still hungry? Or want a takeaway for supper? If you love barbeque Muddy’s Pit BBQ is a true hidden gem.
- Step out to enjoy some dining and live entertainment in downtown Peterborough
The only thing I love more than a fun-filled food experience is a great story. The #FallForPtbo Picnic experience is a great way to catch up with your family or friends, to explore new flavours and to chat with local small business owners about their favourite menu items.
- Cara Walsh, local foodie, communications professional and mama
$225.00 (including HST) per picnic experience. Includes Picnic Backpack and gift cards from five local stops, map, suggested driving itinerary (downloadable).
Thursdays thru Sundays, Sept 9th to Oct 10th, 2021., 10:30 am to 5:00 pm
- Purchase your ticket through our Eventbrite page
- Choose the date you want to have your picnic experience (see available dates above)
- Notify Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism (PKT) of your selected date by calling 1-800-461-6424 or using the live chat feature on www.thekawarthas.ca during business hours Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Your package will be ready for pick up on the date you selected
- Note: If you do not advise PKT of your selected date, your picnic backpack will not be ready for pick up.
Picnic Backpack Pick Up Details:
- You will need to bring a copy of your Eventbrite ticket (printed or digital) as proof of purchase to obtain your package.
- Thursdays and Fridays packages must be picked up at the Peterborough & Kawarthas Tourism Visitor Centre, 270 George St. N., Suite 101, Peterborough between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:30 pm
- Saturdays and Sundays packages must be picked up at your first itinerary stop: Hard Winter Bread Company located at 133 Hunter Street East, Peterborough between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Allow yourself 3-4 hours for the entire experience – you’ll need time to explore the shops and curate your picnic. This driving tour is approx. 65 km in length and will take approximately 1 hour and 4 minutes driving time.
All sales final
This experience was made possible with the support of Kawarthas Northumberland